In 1905, during the pastorate of Fr. Norbert Dieringer, the first of our priceless stained glass windows were installed. The Annunciation (west side of the sanctuary) and The Holy Family (East side of the sanctuary) were procured from the Tyrolese Art Glass Co. of Innsbruck, Austria. The amount, $600.00, was donated by a number of benefactors.
In 1909, during the pastorate of Fr. William Pichery, the remaining stained glass windows were installed. The Good Shepherd is in the sanctuary. The East side of the nave includes windows depicting; the Angel appears to Zachary; the Adoration of the Magi; the Baptism of Christ by St. John; Jesus, the Friend of Children; Pope St. Gregory the Great; St. Anne and the child Mary. The West side of the nave includes; the Visitation; the Adoration of the Shepherds; St. John the Baptist preaching; Mary Magdalene anointing the feet of Jesus; St. Cecilia; St. Notburga. These windows were imported from Munich, Bavaria through the Emil Frei Art Glass Co. of St. Louis, MO. The names and / or initials of the benefactors appear at the bottom of each of the above windows.
The interior of the church was again redecorated and frescoed in 1927 during the pastorate of Fr. William Bruecker. The cost of the project was $5,694.00.
In 1949, extensive work was done in the church during the pastorate of Fr. Michael Jacobs. Changes included; laying of a Marflex flooring, extension of the sanctuary and installation of a bronze communion railing, removal of the old Gothic pulpit, repainting of the three altars, stenciling of the column, repairing/varnishing of the pews, addition of another confessional and the lining of both confessionals with acoustical tile.
Work continued in 1950 with the cleaning and gold leafing of the altars, the statues were redecorated, new church steps, railings, light standards, sidewalks, church doors and landscaping installed. In 1954, the Wm. Schuelke pipe organ of 1891 was replaced with an Allen electronic substitute. (The value of that pipe organ by 1998 standards would be approximately $150,000.00!)
During the pastorate of Msgr. Edward Brill, it was decided that the interior of our church would be completely redecorated and remodeled in preparation for the Centennial of the parish, Msgr. Brill’s 25th Jubilee and the First Solemn Mass of Fr. John Urban. Some of the changes included: three new altars of Brocadillo marble, a new crucifix and statues of the Holy family and St. John the Baptist all carved in Germany, remodeling of the Stations of the Cross from the old ones, new pews of blond oak, painting of the interior soft gray-green accents of green and gold, new lighting and new holy water fonts. The cost of the project was slightly in excess of $29,000!